martedì, marzo 25, 2008

I'm glad I came but just the same I must be going

Now that the last bit of retardation at work has been sorted out, I'm looking forward with baited breath to my trip to Lisbon. Only two of the five days I'm there will demand actual work and that work will mostly involve getting companionably drunk. I enjoyed being in Portugal so much last time - the sun, the frozen drinks, the delicious, delicious, delicious food . . .

I need a thing like this to help me relax; I've hit a point of tension. Luckily the F-word understands, as do several other people, but not everyone does - been getting pissy emails about why I don't call, why I don't email, and they make me want to hit the roof as they're always from people whose lifestyles have less stress built into them. Do they think I like being busy? Do they think I wouldn't rather be being a better friend, and then sitting in a park in a much warmer, sunnier country, smoking a spliff and reading the Bruce Chatwin novel that I've been slowly stumbling through every night before falling into a deep, deep slumber, punctuated only by dreams of bizarre sexual combinations, positions, and locations?

Last night, for example, I dreamt I was sitting in a park watching television with about 200 other people, mostly exchange students at the school I was attending. I thought there was something wrong with the hedges behind the set, so I got up, checked, and saw two Russian couples, one boy-on-boy, the other boy-on-boyish-but-female-little-person.

"Can you please go fuck over there?" I said, pointing to the forest behind where the 200 people were sitting to watch the television. "When you do it behind the TV it's distracting. Also, if you face it from the forest, that way you can fuck and watch TV."

"Liz Phair!" shouted the little person.

"I wanted to like her, but I didn't," I said glumly.

"That's what I like about Canadians," said the man who had been fucking the little person. "They always say what they mean."

"I wish," I said even more glumly. And everybody laughed.

It's times like this I miss my analyst.

3 commenti:

Hipster Pit ha detto...

You've just encapsulated my feelings for Liz Phair perfectly.

Your dream self is a prophet.

Hilts ha detto...

Liked Liz. That first LP was great, as was assorted songs on the second, Then I losrt track.

Great in concert, as well. Don't listen to the nay's.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Well, I listened to the yays and they were wrong . . .