giovedì, luglio 17, 2008

Lying there with all the light in your hair

Artificial drama makes me impatient, but I try to keep that impatience tamped down because I'm often a little drama factory myself. At least, I am in my head - I try to not let it slip out my teeth or typing fingers. Also, I understand it's people's way to deal - in the same way that they'd rather look like a bastard than a patsy, even when the risk of being a patsy is small, they'll prefer to see themselves as some sort of wronged romantic heroine when the truth is that there was a big emotion that had nowhere to go.



Another thing that makes me impatient is a lack of imagination, and yet I have no imagination when it comes to other people's emotional existence. It can take me years to arrive at some sort of useful juncture when I'm trying to understand the people I love, or who I loved, and sometimes my subconscious needs to help, like it did last night in a 'Bluebeard' dream.

I was in the courtyard of La Pedrera, which had been moved to Paris, and he was there as well, bright-blue-eyed, happy, and rather scrawny as he had been when we first met, before I’d cooked and biked the heroin-chic modeling years out of him. He was acting in his sweet way, with the sweetness that made me want to stay with him long after it was evident I had to go.

‘It’s damp here,’ he observed.

‘Yes,’ I said, pointing to a half-basement apartment behind us. ‘We used to live there and I don’t think it was good for our lungs.’

And then his new girl was there. She looked slightly like me, but much better – that sort of stupendous, mid-size dark blonde you get in a stretch here from Denmark down to northern Italy, through Holland, Alsace, Luxembourg. I liked her instantly, and their rapport was adorable. They started frolicking around the courtyard, and as he scooped up a handful of rainwater to splash her she grabbed my arms and hid behind me. ‘Don’t let him get me!’ she cried, and they both fell about laughing.

Wondering if I’d be pressed into a ménage à trois I’d have to politely refuse, I consented to go to their apartment to pick up some stuff I’d left there. As soon as we entered they both went down for a nap. I gathered up some of the more important and portable things and made to leave.

On my way out, he woke and rolled over to face me, naked as a jaybird. ‘Don’t be a stranger,’ he said, and I told him I’d arrange to come back and pick up the other things later. I kissed him on the forehead and tucked him in next to her, where he fell back asleep almost immediately, a happy little smile on his face.

When I woke up I knew that boy can’t be my bogeyman anymore. I remember too much that I shouldn't forget. His sweetness was just as much a part of him as the batshit craziness. And although that brand of batshit craziness is unacceptable to me, I've been coming to realize for years it’s not really deviant in Central Europe, where their genocides are in living memory and those damnable Italian fuckwits are gearing up for another with their gypsy-hating and sheer fucking pig ignorance. All that fury, all that anger, those words and that way of acting - no wonder it confused him so much when I was revolted by it. It's normal here.

And after having gone through what he went through with me - being rejected because I couldn't accept that fury - how could I expect anything except that he'd get more conscious of it, and go into his next relationship with a greater desire to show more of his sweetness and less of his batshit craziness? Why would I choose to believe he could be some sort of lurking monster when - with his wealth, extreme good looks, generally sweet character and a level of fucking insanity which is merely typical by continental standards - some perfectly reasonable European woman would snap him up and perfectly reasonably love the shit out of him, and that woman - and the man himself - would probably benefit from what he learned through our relationship?

In short, how could I focus so hard on the 2% chance he's the revenge-obsessed monster he acted like when he realized I wasn't just play-acting breaking up with him, and the 98% chance he's happy with someone much better suited to him now? Sure, the 2% chance exists. But the other 98% chance is much, much bigger and rather more pleasant to dwell on . . . so much so, and so obviously, that I wonder if - no, I know I've been choosing to believe that getting over Mistress La Spliffe is impossible. Throwing a mean-spirited sop to my ego whilst throwing prime rib to my pride, my paranoid fear. Harming my mental health, my pleasant memories of the good times we'd shared, and some of the lessons I should've learnt through our relationship.

Because, of course, as my analyst was always at such pains to point out: everybody in the dream is you. As was that girl, his new girl, who was as pretty and happy as I felt myself to be when we first got together all those years ago; a girl who didn't utterly fuck things up, but who did what she felt was right at the time, and who had some joy with that man that made some unpleasantness worth it for a long time. And in the dream, he was me too; the 'big bogeyman' part of me, who is almost statistically certain to have hurt Mistress La Spliffe more than the man himself ever even wanted too. Happy now, playful, reasonable, and put to bed.

7 commenti:

Lady ha detto...

sigh. what a lovely post.

miss you!!!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

I miss you too, lovey, but I'll be there soon - Toronto in the second weekend of October.

Anonimo ha detto...

What a pleasure to read and how uncannily timely given what I'm currently going through, as you know. Thanks for pointing out how all characters in our dreams (and waking life!) are aspects of our own selves. Sorry for taking a few months to respond to your questions regarding shiatsu. I willingly let the baby take over every nook of my existence. So needless to say, the shiatsu got back burnered along with singing and so much else that used to define me. But fuck it, seeing those sweet eyes smile back at you and begin to reciprocate the love make all the sacrifices so worth it. Peace and Brava on the prose!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

I think you and yours might have a little more history and a lot more love (what with the wee one) invested than I did with my ex-bogeyfriend, so I hope you have a happier turnout than simply managing to not hate each other.

For sure you've both heard all the truisms that are no less true for being truisms, like the first year after the baby coming being so hard on a couple, and compassion getting to be more necessary than passion, and anyways I don't know anything about anything, so I'll just write that I'm begging my anthropomorphic deity to smile on your family and love.

Also that I'd try breaking up with my marital counsellor before with each other. Maybe you could both do better. But then, I would write that, as a Jungian propagandist.

Shiatsu totally backburnered for me too, with less of an excuse than you've got . . . I think we might move to Australia in a couple of years, so I'm thinking of qualifying for the massage therapist title there through long-distance ed and a co-op here, and then looking for an instructor when and if we get there.

Belgium is fucking backwards in a lot of ways and I have not even heard of a competent shiatsu practitioner here, let alone school.

Anonimo ha detto...

You go girl! Power to the anthropomorphic deity. We three NEED that smile! And how timely your advice (again!) as I am rereading "Leaving My Father's House" by Marion Woodman, one of the big Jungians, practicing right in Toronto, no less! Yes the couples triad can get annoying and well, counterproductive. So let's hear it for looking within and getting to the bottom of our projections. "You remind me of my daddy so I sought you (back) out to provoke you to behave just like him and then be able to exercise leaving you and establish my independence from you which I never quite worked out with the real man." Great, but how about going just a little deeper, tolerate the tension the projection creates in you and owning it as an internal mechanism so you don't actually need to follow the compulsion to throw your partner out with the bathwater just to reclaim your sense of self. The Other is always (a part of) You. Go Jung! Stay with the process long enough to see past the projection and discover a totally unique person with whom you can (finally!!!) bond in a healthy way and get past reliving bad, stale family drama. And how about unraveling familial incest which never has to be physical but which again drives the compulsion to collude with a mommy hating sibling just to be able to establish a sense of closeness you never had before? A lot of good that will do for one's relationship woes! If I hadn't discovered the insidious danger therein and not drawn some boundaries between myself and the family members I love but who are so up to their necks in issues, I would definitely not still be here fighting for this. I go on and on, I know. Btw, have you ever had any experience with hypnotherapy? I was recently amazed at how easy it is to access that gosh darned unconscious and just ask it what's been bothering it all these years. It's the cliff notes version of long drawn out talk therapy. Damned good shit, I tell you. Apropos therapy, I too have shied away from shiatsu partly because I don't see a demand for it in the job market. Lots of openings for massage therapists, though. So you are probably onto something. Too bad because Shiatsu is the bomb; no way I could have given birth naturally without it. Thanks so much for your support and wisdom. It means a lot Spliffissima! But wait, why Australia?

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Australia? Dream since I was a little girl, for one. And I don’t think I have the right to subject my possible kids to the immigrant experience that’s so fun for me as a fully-formed personality, for two, just because I like living with lots of Art Nouveau architecture and patisseries. Especially since I’m certain I couldn’t give them the quality of life here they’d have if we raised them in Australia. And then Canada is too cold, so we can’t go back there. Also, whilst I love my family, probably best to have a little space for reasons it sounds like you’d understand. . . And the F-word (he’s Australian) is leaning towards it, and I want to be with him. And all those marsupials look damn tasty.

Also it only takes one year to qualify as an insurance-eligible RMT there . . . seems like a place where it’s still easy to do what you want if you work for it.

Hypnotherapy I never tried; regression therapy, yes, and I think I know what you mean. It really gave me new ways to cope with myself. The upshot, all this time after analysis has finished, is that I can see myself as a series of me’s – me’s of all ages and experiences – who the practical reality of Mistress La Spliffe today is able to listen to and protect. That I can see, for example, the 12 year old who felt frightened by her mother or rejected by her father, or whatever, and convince her that it’s okay – I can take care of her now, even if there are good reasons not to give her what she wants, or what she thinks she wants.

Playing with delusion, maybe, but it’s why I think you’re right, and people in general would be right to look at their projections and tensions realistically, as things coming from an honest place in themselves. An honest 12 year old place, or an honest 5 year old place; from the part of you that’s a daughter or a sister or a victim, and is insisting on impacting on the part of you that’s a mother or a lover or a partner.

These projections and tensions are a part of our identities, and they only turn into neuroses when we refuse to see why they’re there or to listen to those parts of ourselves that they’re coming from. Because when we refuse to do that, we’ll either think our fears are the gospel truth or else we’ll fight too violently against them and everything that looks like them, even if the things that look like them are other people who we love. What a mess we all are – it’s amazing we’re all still so lovable!

Anonimo ha detto...

And yet again, I couldn't have said it better myself! Cheers.