lunedì, dicembre 04, 2006

The Red Dragon Tries to Get Her Dander Up

If I don't miss my guess by a college mile and if my calendar with the twee archaic maps is right, it's the fourth of December, which means there are only 17 days left of the days dwindling and dwindling until any scrap of sunlight feels like a secret swig of bourbon downed behind a dumpster. And then they get longer. Joy. There's a reason we celebrate Christmas then, even though Jesus was probably a Leo or something. Capricorn Jesus? Suuuuuuuure, Catholic Church. And every sperm is sacred, too.

This weekend didn't see me at the top of my game. Thursday's flu shot made me ill in a really bizarre way that included my pointing fingers feeling broken and a bi-polar tummy, which was trying as other physical type aches and pains were on the cards too and I drank far too much on Friday night.

I dealt by smoking lots of reefer and sleeping when I got sleepy, which means not-fit-for-print fun and frolic aside I've got nothing to tell you about besides Robert Hughes' memoirs being bitter and unpleasant, a bit of a nasty slog, but since I was sent a free review copy I have to review it soon or I'll stop getting free reveiw copies of things, and since it doesn't look like it's going to be a glowing review I have to read it carefully too.

Also, the Ansel Adams exhibit at the AGO is really, really worth seeing. It's up until January 4th so there's lots of time to do it. Go. I like the AGO. The special exhibition prices are, I think, prohibitive at $15 (I can't shake the feeling that the whole fucking point of a museum should be that they're free - my inner Palace of the People-type pinko speaking, I suppose) to the degree that one is tempted to go watch the new Bond movie instead. But the Ansel Adams exhibit is just breathtaking, especially to anybody who wants to know stuff about photographing stuff.

Motherfuck, time to start the work week.

8 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Oh no - I hope you're feeling better! This is why I don't get the flu shot. They say if you get sick it's because you were going to anyway, but I've heard too many instances of people getting sick that I'm scared away..

I love, love, love Ansel Adams. The man's clarity of vision is astounding, considering he didn't have the modern photographer's trick-up-his-sleeve Photoshop to help him out. Beautiful work. Museums should definitely be free, but tell that to our government(s). And the lay person on the street, who wants to not have to pay admission, but doesn't care if funding gets cut.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Ah, people. And governments. Mutual fiduciary incompetence in Canada ensures we aren't able to think of our taxes as good investments and museums as one of those investments. Sigh.

Melbine ha detto...

Totally.
My ovaries hurt. Just thought I'd let you know since the Red Dragon is in your house right now too!

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Try a hot water bottle, honey.

Anonimo ha detto...

Jesus as a Capricorn? I never thought about it. Maybe he's a Gemini. Son of God/real boy.

* My word recognition is hives. Do you think God is trying to tell me not to be so crass or I'll be stricken with hives? I'll let you know when I return from my class if I've broken out yet.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

I'm sure if you were all that bad, God could do better than hives. Maybe it's a sign that you need to buy some honey. I know I do. Jars and jars of lovely honey.

Anonimo ha detto...

I AM out of honey. That must be it because I have not broken out in hives.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

See, word verification knows all.