mercoledì, giugno 27, 2007

Comics

While we were living in the executive suite, we watched 300, and the last drama whose climax made me laugh that hard was Titanic. I don't consider the film wasted time because the F-word insisted on getting it. That means he's not allowed to mock my film choices ever again without me feigning slow-mo and narrating how shitty I think 300 was in a hoarse voice-over for awhile. These sorts of events have to happen in the life of every couple, sort of like farting or accidentally saying someone else's name whilst intimate - the primary thing is that the other person does it first.

I don't fully understand why things that were obviously much better as comic books are translated to film - they're bringing out Tintin soon, you know, not the Belgians who invented him but Steven Spielberg or some such, and then all this Frank Miller stuff and every super hero but Wonder Woman, though I'm sure she's just a matter of time and I'll see that for sure if they keep the awesome music from the television series. And it's not just Americans, Europeans do it too - Blueberry the cowboy, Asterix, Enki Bilal shit, et cetera. So it's not a particularly New World illness, and not necessarily anything to do with getting comic books to old guys once they figure they're too old to read them, as here guys still read them when they're old.

So I have a feeling the international film industry is simply bereft of any ideas and will take them wherever they find them, even if as unsuitable as, say, Frank Miller or Enki Bilal, who are lovely for comic books and ridiculous for films, as hearing the dialogue they create out loud without being able to geek on their pretty pictures is just fucking embarrassing.

None of this was my point, though. My point was that last night I saw the episode of South Park wherein Mrs. Garrison becomes a lesbian and defends 'Les Bos' from the Persian decorators. And now 300 REALLY wasn't wasted time.

4 commenti:

Sugarplum ha detto...

I'm afraid I will also have to sit through that one. Blah!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

It'll really help, Sugar!

Dale ha detto...

I think Joss Whedon is supposed to be working on bringing Wonder Woman to life on the big screen isn't he? Here's a cool post/video about him from Holly's site.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Sweet! He'd better keep the music or I will blog *so angrily*. Tremble, Joss.