martedì, luglio 03, 2007

Great escapism

Quite sulky about being alive to the world this morning, my head aches and my tummy is telling me I haven't shaken whatever was shaking me this weekend - but Wednesday is the do or die day at work so off I go. I have started to understand why journalists drink so heavily. There is something about the monotony of a weekly or daily deadline - a building effort of brain and nerves. Because right afterwards, there's a release, combined with the awareness that this is as far as you're getting from your next deadline, so you should hurry up and relax.

Don't judge the drunken journalists. There but for the grace of God go we all.

Anyways, to distract me from my impending work, I'd just like to say a word about the hottest movie ever, full of the hottest men ever, because it cheers me up. That's The Great Escape, featuring the hottermost of the toppermost Steve McQueen, James Garner (oh yes he was, bear in mind this was1963), and the king of my fangirl heart Charles Bronson. Steve McQueen always looking at the Nazi guards with that blonde, blue-eyed smart-ass "throw me in solitary all you want because I'm already INSANE" look that was borne out by that deservedly iconic motorcycle ride towards the end, which I've heard he insisted get thrown into the movie - just 'cause.

But nothing compares with Charles Bronson, young and cleanshaven in this movie, talking with an adorable Polish accent, dealing with his claustrophobia and vulnerability, and hanging around in a wifebeater constantly, dwarfing all the other men with his tremendous termendousness. Arms like whole prosciuttos. Jeebus. Actors aren't hot anymore.

3 commenti:

Hilts ha detto...

MacQueen had the coolest movie name ever as well.

Sugarplum ha detto...

Actors aren't hot anymore. You're completely right. There are so many that I can't stand to look at: Tom Cruise and all the others whose names I can't remember because I have successfully pushed them out of my life.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Hiltsyyyyy!!!!! Yep, it's a cool name. I have a weakness for Danny Velinski though. Fangirl me.

They're easy to forget. I feel like A-list actors these days are smooth glassy surfaces that there's no need for my eyes to rest on. Jeanette Wintersen wrote once upon a time that perfection and flawlessness weren't the same thing, which I think was one of her better points.

Tom Cruise is different though. He looks like an accountant with a gym membership. It baffles me that any chicks dig that. But then I guess lots of chicks dig accountants with gym memberships.