martedì, dicembre 11, 2007

The Red Dragon lacks an infinite mental capacity

Rocky and the Melbine have both made their little Sagittarians now. And my grade partner at work is leaving the office to make hers this week. Don't know what a grade partner is? That's probably for the best. Unfortunately the capacity of the human mind is not infinite and knowing what a grade partner is would take up valuable mental space you could devote to remembering how to deal with a snakebite or bake clafouti, neither of which I know how to do anymore. Anyways, she's leaving to make her baby and while she's gone my new grade partner is the CEO of our corporation.

This makes me a little nervous. 'Powerful' men always make me nervous. I can't help but feel they wouldn't have bothered getting that powerful unless they liked screwing people over when the errant mood strikes them. But he seems nice and didn't once mention his car during our meeting, although he did mention his ranch. Or maybe he just told me he lives in a state with a lot of ranches in it. Unfortunately the capacity of the human mind is not infinite and remembering if my CEO lives on a ranch or just lives in a state with a lot of ranches in it would take up valuable mental space I'm devoting to calculating if we have enough reefer to last us until the beginning of our Christmas holiday (probably yes, if I hide it from the F-word during the day).

All of this is secondary to the fact that everybody is having babies and I - don't - do - maybe want to as well. Now would be the first period in my life that getting and keeping pregnant wouldn't be a massive personal disaster, particularly as I'm with the only man I've ever been with who I would consent to make babies with. Does that count as wanting to? Sometimes, maybe. Right now I'm fresh from reading Rocky's account of how his lady, who I only know as a lovely, composed figure singing Adalgisa in a production of Norma awhile back, went through a long long long delivery without drugs. Whereas I presently have mild cramps from clinging on to the back of the Red Dragon, and it's taking all of my forbearance to not get really high before I go to work to get some relief.

Am I tough enough? Not just to pop one out but to protect it once it's out, and then to raise it, and then to let it go? I don't know. Unfortunately the capacity of the human mind is not infinite . . .

2 commenti:

Baywatch ha detto...

Spliffy, big thanks for your thoughts here and elsewhere. I just finished reading this aloud to Adalgisa as she nursed and she found it totally lovely. And we know you're tough enough to do damn well anything you set your mind to.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Coming from people who have actually done such a thing, that's very touching indeed!