mercoledì, gennaio 30, 2008

Do remember the first time?

So we both have quite high pressure jobs; mine is the first that gives me pimples from time to time, and I'm the sort of pale olive specimen that just doesn't fucking get pimples, so that just goes to show you, it's a high pressure job. Sometimes, particularly towards the end of the week, our brains are a bit broken and in lieu of watching television we watch Internet crap - it's a sort of poultice for the brain - especially videos of cute kittens frolicking.



Or very very odd videos of cats dancing. Very very odd. Very. And very compelling. I don't know what it's brainwashing me into but . . . well . . . okay.



My brain has a particular tendency towards brokenness on Wednesday nights after I make deadline, so last night in lieu of dancing cats and cute kittens I watched a bunch of clips from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. The primaries in the States are followed religiously here but no one laughs at them - everybody thinking too seriously about how they really hope someone who won't blow too much shit up, but who will stop the Russians from taking over the universe, will get into power.

But there's so much to laugh about and laugh I did, particularly when Steven Colbert said anything and when Jon Stewart ragged on Bill Clinton for being such a shithead lately. That was great, especially the bit pointing out how far up Barack's ass he'd try to crawl if his wife wasn't in the race. But what's sticking with me this morning is how fucking old Bill Clinton looks. He's younger than my mum and it looks like the devil already ate his soul. I hope he manages to shut up more in the future so that I can always remember him simply as a plump little sausage with awesome speechifying skills radically outstripping his political authenticity:


Oh, lookee the ittee wikky wikky wooo. There's the cute cute face of a man who won't send in the troops when he can just send in the bombs. And his wife promises to be exactly the same. Less of a problem for the States than for the rest of the world, which of course makes the rest of the world nervous, and in the mood to follow the primaries religiously.

Anyways, a lot of time has passed since then, apparently, judging from the way Bill Clinton looks like the devil has already eaten his soul, and we're all older than we used to be, Jarvis Cocker included (though he doesn't look like the devil ate his soul these days - just sort of stringier) - unsettling to me because I'm getting to the age where I do, indeed, remember the first times. Some were better than others.



1 commento:

Dale ha detto...

You know, I'd almost banished forever the memory of hearing 'cat, I'm a kitty cat and I dance dance dance dance dance dance dance...'. Thank you for ensuring I stay off balance at all times! :-)