martedì, settembre 02, 2008

The Red Dragon asks the tough questions

The American political cycle has spiralled down into farce, in-your-face slapstick that many of my friends who traditionally ignore the American political cycle can't help but comment on. I'm left with four questions:

1. Was it just a random chick pick, or is Sarah Palin the sort of thing that John McCain personally feels is both representative of and appealing to American women? A gun-toting, equal-pay stimying, global warming denying sneer machine who is against women's right to choose and - to me far more importantly - a girl's right to learn, and who'd even dream of allowing her teenage daughter to get married just because she got pregnant? Teenage. Pregnant or not the whole girl's life is ahead of her. If I'd married who I'd wanted to marry when I was 17 I'd have shot myself by now, and I think I'm quite typical in that.

2. Is he right? Or is he the biggest cocksucker in the world?

3. If Americans are stupid enough to vote a 71 year old cancer survivor into office whose immediate successor is the gun-toting, equal-pay stimying, global warming denying sneer machine whilst the country is engaged in two wars, the global economy crashes, Russia confronts NATO in its near abroad, ocean level rise threatens to create a refugee class the size of which the planet has never seen before, and China keeps being China, how long will it be before Japan just buys up everything south of the Canadian border and north of the South American leftist nationalists who don't play ball anymore and turns it into a Toyota factory?

4. And at that point, will the price of Toyotas go down? Because I sort of want one when we move to Australia. They get fantastic mileage and they're safer than my emotional choice, a Mini Cooper. I know they're already pretty cheap but I'm the world's biggest skinflint.

Nessun commento: