domenica, ottobre 25, 2009

The first days of SAD

Ugh. SAD. Ugh. Stupid short days and painfully finite mortal lifetime. Ugh.

That having been said, I'm reading Daniel Deronda and it's fucking ace. Don't tell me how it ends, I like to not know that with George Eliot books. Love her writing so much - such characterization, such dialogue, combined with such an aesthetic sense - unique perhaps - that I'm starting to seriously question the hitherto fundamentally unquestioned superiority of my shmancy undergrad degree: why the fuck didn't we read any George Eliot? Maybe they did in the lit concentration. Anyways. Water under the bridge. I'm reading it now and it's good reading material for a thirty year old; perhaps I wouldn't have liked it in my late teens and infant twenties.

We watched The Caine Mutiny last night. Not a waste of time despite that sort of dated direction that patronizes the audience so awfully and makes American movies so distasteful, because Humphrey Bogart was impossible to stop looking at. Also Jose Ferrer, was, well, Jose Ferrer. I didn't think much of the script and even less of his speech at the end to the crew, but when he trotted out the line 'I'm a lot drunker than you are so it'll be a fair fight' it made the whole thing worth it. Most people would have made that line stupid. Not him.

4 commenti:

Baywatch ha detto...

oooh ooooh oooh!!!!! my favorite Eliot!!!!! ooooh ooooh oooh!!!!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Yeah, it's fucking ace so far, I left off at the point where Mrs. Glasher sends the diamonds with that awful letter, Grandcourt walks into the room and Gwendolen starts shrieking her head off! OOOO THE PSYCHOLOGY!

Baywatch ha detto...

her writing. oh. to die for. can people even write like that anymore? stupid question, i know, but, it's executed at such a level, it's like reading an intellect from another universe

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

No, they fucking can't, or if they can they don't. Her writing is such a pleasing mix of subtlety and mapping-it-out that it never dumbs down to one and simultaneously never confuses the issue. And she STILL sounds more like a poet than a snarky newspaper columnist. Magic woman.