domenica, novembre 27, 2011

New houseguest this one, from undergrad this time, and it's substantially more relaxing. And it follows up a really, really nice city break in Brisbane to celebrate my birthday. What a wierd town that is. I guess it'd be more normal if we explored it more? I don't know. It seems too big for what it is. We kept ending up at South Bank, one of the most successful, if highly disturbing, civic embodiments of Star Trek I've ever seen - for the art gallery, for a showing of Pygmalion, for the modern art gallery - or else we were in New Farm, where the hotel was. And that seems to be all we bounce between when we go there, on the river, or else by foot.

Chinatown's a dead loss there. Where are all the Asians? I had been promised Asians. Oh well. We still managed Shanghaiese, Korean and Japanese cuisine within the three days, and the Shanghaiese cuisine was quite good. Yay for soup dumplings!

The modern art gallery was actually fucking great. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed an art gallery so much. Maybe because I finally found all the Asians there. I do talk in generalities so I will about art as well now; I find in terms of art peices created in the last five to ten years Chinese and Taiwanese art speaks to me more than white person art, probably because the art I see from there is intended to. It's intended to mean something to people besides the artist. Maybe in China and Taiwan itself the art scene is as full of self-obsessed wankers as the art firmament is here, but the stuff that makes it into Anglo galleries is awfully communicative. And the trip to the art gallery yesterday was a bit of a kick in the face, especially after spending so much time in L--- where any art up for sale anywhere is all fucking hippie wank. Well, at least they're putting themselves out there.

Anyways, this was awesome. This was awesome, and this was awesome. Although that last one is actually Australian. This was a real kick in the head, and so was this, though that last one is some sort of German. So it wasn't exclusively Asian charm, just heavily so.







4 commenti:

e.f. bartlam ha detto...

"I had been promised Asians."

hahhahahha

Do you have any family in South East Asia that you ever visit? Or am I just confused?

Happy Birthday Ma'am...very happy birthday.

Baywatch ha detto...

Nice artstuff there.
Happy birthday!

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Thank you, gentlemen.

E.F., I'm not even a little bit Asian, I just age really well, but thanks for the compliment. I have to go to China and Singapore and different places in Asia for work a few times a year, and I also have to go to Europe and Canada to visit family, and it's all fucking far away from Australia, so maybe you're thinking of that.

e.f. bartlam ha detto...

I don't know how I got that in my head.

It may have been something about a Chinese restaurant you linked...somebody talked about there father being Chineese. I was almost certainly in a hotel room when I read...so, I was probably high on cough syrup.