giovedì, dicembre 08, 2011

Negatives and positives

You don't have to put me on suicide watch yet, but realized with a start this morning that having visited India will make it a little easier to die one day, because it's a fucking rotten world in a lot of ways. I suppose I can know that people are malnourished and even see videos of it and even do a graduate degree in international relations whose fundamental basis is that some countries are more malnourished than others and there are eventual consequences to that, etc., but when people are actually malnourished right there in front of me, and there's a lot of them, I suppose I understand what it means a little better. It means there's something really shitty about existence. By they way - I'm staying in one of the richest quarters of New Delhi and mostly just bouncing around between office districts - so basically, I haven't seen shit yet.

On a positive note, more than 50 hours in to the trip and I still don't have the shits. And now it's off to work for me.

5 commenti:

e.f. bartlam ha detto...

Maybe not quite as jealous today.

Given the nature of your studies there are a few things I'd like to pick your brain about.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

You can try to pick what's left of my grad studies out of my brain. At this point it's likely to be as futile as picking lint out of a gnat's belly button but it's worth a shot.

I'd still be jealous if I were you. It's wierd but worth it. Also, 3 days now without the shits. Rawk.

e.f. bartlam ha detto...

You know I'm still jealous.

Mainly I was wondering about corn subsidies for ethanol. It's completely screwed up food crops in the u.s. Farmers have filled in catfish ponds to plant corn that's going in gas tanks. Good luck getting a plate of black eyed peas next year, etc...I know of one chicken processor whose feed cost has gone from 2 mil a week to 7.5.

Bad enough around here but what about places (like those in South America) where corn is the foundation of people's diets? What must be going on in these places...it's a global market for commodities isn't it?

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

You don't need to look as far as Brazil, where biofuel crops are taking over; it's causing massive food staple price inflation as close to home as Mexico, and an ecological catastrophe in Indonesia. It's a fucking disaster in progress.

Biofuels are one of the dumb ideas of all time. A real signifier of us being too retarded to last as a species (since burning up all our fossil fuel has gone so well, drrrrr, let's burn stuff that hasn't fossilized yet) and totally wasteful and inelegant.

I don't have a problem with energy from organics although I don't think that the processing and burning of them has hit a clean enough point yet to be viable if we weren't a sincerely suicidal species, but the idea of burning all that shit before it's been through some cycles of use is fucking retarded and lazy and just grinds my gears.

But in the case of energy from palm, corn, sugar etc. it's getting terrific press and promotion since it's a new way to monetize industries that already had great income streams and political representation.

Just one of those things that makes me scream "cunt".

The one good thing about it is that the price of palm oil for cooking has crashed since they started getting rid of the Indonesian jungle for plantations, which means I can eat food in Asia without fear because peanut oil's been pushed out of the market.

e.f. bartlam ha detto...

Thank you ma'am.

Not only informative but, delivered with the rancorous tone that I expect, and delight in, from this place.