martedì, ottobre 18, 2005

Dead guys

I went to a Tafelmusik performance last Wednesday at a United church. Does anyone know what the United Church is anyways? I get the feeling it's the gumdrops and rainbows and God-sees-the-little-sparrow-fall sort of religion all the other Christians think is for girls. Anyways, the concert was good, except for the wobbly soprano. Rodelinda next week has a famous counter-tenor singing, Daniel Taylor, that will be fun.

And I realized that not only haven't I been to a show that didn't feature music written by guys who have been dead for a long, long time (unless Berg isn't dead yet, which would leave me indifferent), but also I haven't been listening to anything that wasn't written by dead guys or ladies. When someone asked me yesterday if I was going to the Roots concert yesterday, all I could answer was 'uhhmmm - the Roots - with that drummer, yeah - no, early Italian sacred Baroque'. What the hell? The Roots are awesome.

Anyways, I went to Tafelmusik and I'm not sorry. But I think today everything that goes on my iShuffle or whatever the fuck you call that thing will be by people who aren't dead yet. Except Marvin Gaye. He was gorgeous.

Nessun commento: