mercoledì, marzo 29, 2006

People are retards

Soooo . . . I suppose I should start this entry by saying I sent yesterday's videos of Silvio Berlusconi eating snot and dry-humping some sort of civil servant to my cousin in Catania, and he thought they were fake. Whether that means he just can't believe the evidence of his eyes or thinks that someone staged those extravaganzas for the senses, I haven't yet clarified. So there you are.

Anyways, yesterday at work I learnt a new word. Sort of. "Emo". It was in this article about the new Superman movie. I guess living in moon man countries for a few years and then going on an opera binge broken only by the pretty music Lady, J*Fish, FEB, my brothers, Calisaurus’s beau, Carmen, Mr. N, KEXP Radio, and sundry sexual partners have thrown my way wasn’t the best way to keep my fingers on the throbbing pulse of the pop music classification industry. But I was really relieved to find this category, and really really relieved that Wikipedia had an entry on it to bring me up to speed, because I was confused about how to classify some of my favorite emotional songs by emotional musicians who would ‘become spontaneously and literally emotional during performances’. So here is a list of my favorite emo-type songs:

1. "My Best Friend’s Girl", from the Cars. Oh god. When Ric Ocasek really gets into it towards the end, I just want to cry along with him. She used to be - yours? And now she's dating your best friend? Fucking whore.

2. "Je t’aime moi non plus" – the Jane Birkin version, obviously, not the Brigitte Bardot version. Brigitte Bardot sounds like she’s faking the emo.

3. "It’s a Shame", from the Spinners. Oof, when they break it down, I feel ashamed. Have I been messing around with my man? I hadn't thought so - but it’s got ta be a shame!

4. "She", by Charles Aznavour. I don’t know if she’s the beauty or the beast, the famine or the feast. But damnit, he sounds so sad. I hope he figures it out.

5. "My Favourite Things", from Julie Andrews. I also always try to simply remember my favourite things when I'd prefer to stop feeling so bad.

Honestly, "emo". I swear a dominant society hasn't been this fucking stupid since the Romans were on the decline.

Anyways, since I got sick I've been trying to correct my naughtier eating habits and it's been mostly working, probably because I haven't cut out things that are actually good, like cheese or pickles. I have cut out refined sugar in my normal diet - no idea if it makes a difference or not, I think I only did it as an excuse to eat more honey. Anyways, I got sick of honey, got some blackstrap molasses, and found this article while I was trying to figure out how to store it once opened. Man, caker motherfuckers blamed everything on the Italian anarchists in those days.

Which makes one feel sort of hopeful for the future, doesn't it? I mean, today people from the Middle East are getting the shitty end of the lollipop. Maybe in forty years they'll just be standard tax-evading citizens who a few brilliant film and television directors can establish a lucrative industry on by exploiting violent or hilarious domestic stereotypes so wittily that the targetted community itself enjoys and supports it. I wonder how you say Sopranos in Arabic. Word of advice: when that day comes, don't let outside people into the industry . . . I'm still struggling to get over what Norman Jewison did to my people in Moonstruck. My fault for watching the fucker, I suppose.

Nessun commento: