lunedì, aprile 24, 2006

V for vaaaaaaaaapid

In the efforts to find something non-snivelly to write about, I saw V for Vendetta. I saw it stoned, on IMAX. And it still sucked. I mean, I wasn't considering getting up and walking out or anything, but it was a waste of Hugo Weaving, John Hurt, and a really topical subject. Adaptations are getting old. Couldn't someone have written thier own bloody kazillion dollar movie script about totalitarianism and why it's a bad thing? Or just re-shot 1984 and tacked on a happy ending about how the proles revolted because they wanted to be middle class?

Geez, it was a big old snore. And alot of the conceits that probably looked great in a graphic novel, like a V-alliterative introductory speech that lasted for about 90 seconds, sounded dumb in a movie. Still, Hugo Weaving pulled it off. Hugo Weaving has a tendency to be the best thing in shit movies these days. I expect it's for the money, but it must feel good too. Proof was a great movie all around, though, and he was still lovely in that.

8 commenti:

You Need A Mess Of Help ha detto...

Damn shame. I like the graphic novel. I kinda wish they'd stop adapting comics for films actually, especially Alan Moore's (I'm dreading the mess they'll make of Watchmen). Honorable exception: the X-Men series. Good scary fun and the allegorical elements are handled very well indeed...

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Yah. Graphic novels get no respect, and the way they get translated to film is just more fucking disrespect. However one feels about them - and they could drop off the face of the earth tomorrow without lowering the quality of my life much - they're a seperate media, a seperate art form, and you can't turn them into a movie just by getting your actors to sneer more and making everything noiresque/sepia-toned/apocalyptic.

Stupid Wachowski brothers.

Stupid everybody.

Stupid fucking day.

Cindy ha detto...

I thought it was good, well I enjoyed it, perhaps coz I didn't read the comics. I wouldn't say it's the best movie of the year but I had a good time watching it.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

I didn't read the graphic novel either but I had sky-high hopes nonetheless - all the critics I distrust the most had disliked it and I figured anything wherein anything gets blown up to the 1812 Overture would rock.

I was hoping for the best movie of the year, you see. Silly me.

Does anyone know any blow-shit-up anti-totalitarian films worth watching stoned?

You Need A Mess Of Help ha detto...

Ummm...Fight Club? No, fuck it, try If... and then you might as well move on to the sequel, O! Lucky Man, which is a fucking ruthless, withering indictment of big business, political corruption, and everything awful about the human race. It's also very funny. And Helen Mirren is in it, looking hott.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

If . . . has a sequel and I NEVER KNEW?! You're the man, Mess!

You Need A Mess Of Help ha detto...

Well, it's *kind of* a sequel. It was directed by Lindsay Anderson, it features Malcolm McDowell as Mick Travis and has most of the other cast members from If..., albeit in different guises. There's also a THIRD installment entitled Hospital Britannia, which is completely nuts, and plays like Carry On Sociopolitical Satire.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

They shall all be mine.