martedì, agosto 29, 2006

Sister, when I've raised hell, you'll know it!

Remember that show I couldn't stop watching, Deadwood? Have you ever checked it out? If so, click here and prepare to wet yourself.

Mummy gets home from England tomorrow, nobody is quite sure when. I'm glad. She'll be able to relax a little more here - we can take care of her some. And then Figaro and I will go up North with her and my brother the next day, ending up eventually in Lady's cottage. I miss J*Fish, I miss his bitch too, and they'll be there so hurrah - I'm looking forward to it as much as a city girl like me can look forward to a cottage trip. Which turns out to be a lot. I don't really want a cottage for myself - seems like a bit of a space-squander - but think I really want a farm. Not a money-making farm. Just a few hectares where I can have a couple of goats, a pony, and some ducks. It can probably be made to happen.

Anyways, a little while ago we watched Miller's Crossing. Holy fuck, what a great movie. I like it as much as Raising Arizona, which I'd consider dating if it had a working dick. I love the Coen brothers, I'll admit it flat out. I mean, Miller's Crossing was 1990 and The Man Who Wasn't There was 2001, and there was no slip in quality that I could see, no surrender of authenticity, of duty to the material, of making every line and every shot count without making the film feel miserably laboured. And to be able to do that in comedy OR noir OR both at the same time! Fucking adorable! It makes it harder to explain Intolerable Cruelty, though. Unless I accept the voice inside telling me Catherine Zeta-Jones is a crap actress and George Clooney would mug himself to death if not forcibly restrained.

Anyways, Miller's Crossing was intensely good, the actors were flawless, and Gabriel Byrne used to be the tastiest fucking treat in cinema, apparently. God, I love a nice big nose. So check it out if you're in the mood to brood and laugh at the same time.

5 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm always looking for good films to check out! Was Intolerable Cruelty bad? Maybe it was just a bad story? I like lots of Catherine Z-J roles, as well as George Clooney...maybe they just shouldn't have been paired together?? Chemistry is soo important!

Have fun up North and say hi to J*Fish for me! I hope your Mum's trip went okay?

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Yeah, the chemistry is pretty rubbish, but on top of that they just sucked. The story wasn't so bad but it seemed ham-fistedly handled, and I blame that on the actors.

I've never liked Zeta-Jones, except in Traffic, when she was allowed to yell a little bit. Even so I liked everybody else in it better. Except Michael Douglas.

There were alot of stressful things about the trip even outside of the expected heaviness . . . I'm glad she's coming home, for me and for her.

cali ha detto...

Say hi to J*Fish for Mr. S and myself as well. Mr S. is really bummed that J*Fish won't be around this year.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

I surely will. I'm kinda bummed myself. I miss everything being either "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEsome" or "tasting/looking/feeling like ASS."

Melbine ha detto...

OMG - that's such a great imitation of J*Fish!