mercoledì, settembre 13, 2006

Turn down the suck

Figaro and I saw Polyester a couple of days ago. We went to the vid store in search of that and of the Christopher Guest mockumentary A Mighty Wind, which was a little unfortunate because I couldn’t see it on the shelf immediately, and so asked the owner lady who I know well enough to salute on the street, “N-y, do you have ‘A Mighty Wind’?” just as she was exiting the toilets. I don’t think either she or I noticed the timing but Figaro did and nearly had a little stroke as we left the store later. So that’s what men do instead of multi-task. Search the subtext of life for poo and flatulence jokes.

Anyways, my point is Polyester really sucked and we weren’t expecting that because we’d both liked Pink Flamingoes. Figaro blamed too much studio interference and I blamed the fact that it just sucked. The timing blew so bad the only excuse I can think of for the level of suck was shitty drugs. I mean reeeeally shitty drugs. Like barbiturates or some other type of crap pill that made housewives all vague back in the 70’s.

I don’t know if we’ve missed the TIFF yet, where another Christopher Guest film premiered (For Your Consideration) but we’re in the process of missing it, no question. There’s been so much else to do, and both of us are trying to sit on our money a little; besides the Reunion I just bought a ticket for England. I’ve asked to work remotely so I can take a full week there; my grandparents have been moved into a residence so besides visiting them and all that other family stuff I’ll have more than enough time to work on the bloody site. I won't be losing money much, but, you know, things are tightening up.

More time . . . I would have liked even more time to go to France, to Calabria, to see everyone again and let them know how I love them. . . Carmen is well again and Paris isn’t going anywhere, but that new beautiful creature of a baby in my family and the situation of my grandparents are making me think of time differently. Not as though there’s just too little of it but as though it’s precious; not like a finite stash of diamonds but like 70% cocoa chocolate that needs to be savoured or else lovingly double-boiled with a little cream into an Italian hot chocolate. Mmmmm. Or a Dufflet Pastries Cointreau chocolate cake. Mmmmmm.

6 commenti:

Sugarplum ha detto...

Time is chocolate. I like it. Something delicious on its own when savoured but even better when a little thought is put into it.

You're going to England after the reunion?

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Yeah, I'm leaving on the 30th. Can I stay with you on Friday and Saturday nights? Unless you're having a Fiancé weekend, then I'll try to cadge a room from J.

Melbine ha detto...

I have learned how precious time is myself in the last year. The newly born and the frail elderly will do that to a person.

I am glad to hear that you're going to England. I think it will be very good for you to go..

We have a blow up bed in the basement if you get stuck for a place to stay next weekend!

ps - thank God I had never heard of Polyster before. It sounds horrible based on its wikipedia description alone!

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Thanks Mel! And if you think Polyester sounds horrible, never watch Hairspray!

Lady ha detto...

cake was not from Dufflet - i didn't feel like going THAT far west on Queen Street - the cake was from the Fine Foods "corner store" on Church - just North of the "corner store" at the corner of Maitland and Church.

mmm cake.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

That place is awesome. It sells gourmet halva, too.