giovedì, maggio 24, 2007

There's more than one kind of herb



I haven't had a mouthful of reefer since arriving in Europe, and now we have plants on our back balcony we can't actually smoke. But I'm so proud of them. Aren't they lovely? Just corner grocer's seedlings but they're doing well.

This is a lousy photograph trying to give some idea of what our back view is like; trying to get across how expansive and cosy it is at the same time. There are so many birds here too.

I want a day or two to just hang around my apartment and this weekend is supposed to be three days long, but once more I'm working through the holiday so I can go to Canada on Wednesday without losing too much money. And on Sunday, we're going to Leuven to meet some old colleagues - not that I mind - Leuven is a fun town, though I question how fun it will be without Little Bitch, who, thank goodness, I'll finally see at Sugarplum's wedding.

Spent yesterday's lunchtime looking for bras that would look okay under the bridesmaid dress, which has a low back that doesn't accomodate my need for tit scaffolding well. My chest is honestly not that big compared to what I see on the street every day, but every time I shop for a specialty bra I feel like I'm trying to fit a beanbag chair in a ladle. Oh well. At least they're sexy.

7 commenti:

Anonimo ha detto...

Looks very nice. What kind of plants do you have?

And soon you'll be in Canada, and I am sure that you'll come accross some reefer.

Dale ha detto...

Nice herbs! :-)

I just finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist this morning and really enjoyed it. Your review that you linked to was excellent as well and I'd put off reading it until I'd finished. Thanks for the recommend and your always excellent analysis and writing.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

I hope I can come see, Toronto is going to be fucked with busy-ness but I'll see you by hook or by crook, even if it's you and Gigi for lunch - on Friday perhaps?

We have chives, mint, basil and this weird thing with lemony leaves . . . I don't know what it is but it smelt nice in the shop. Today we're going to buy oregano and some other things.

Thank you, Dale, you write the nicest things. That book is tremendous - it's been a long time since I got a little shiver in my spine like that one gave me.

Sugarplum ha detto...

It looks to me like lemon balm also known as citronella or Melissa ofiicinalis (I have a package of seeds here). It makes a really nice iced tea (and regular tea I suppose but I always have it in the summer only). And you can add it to salads for a bit of a lemony twist.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

I was wondering if it was lemon balm, and then wondering if it was lemon verbena, and then wondering if there was a difference - thanks for clearing that up!

See you in less than a week, by the way. Wow.

Melbine ha detto...

I agree with Sugarplum; anything that's weird but smells nice has gotta be a Melissa. ;)

I'm going braless for the wedding. I can't be bothered..and these old girls still manage pretty well on their own (or maybe I'm in la-la land). I should get some nipple covers though..don't need to flash my headlights!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

You have great tits, Mel, but they're not mine.