lunedì, giugno 04, 2007

Home again, home again

Jiggedy jog. Funny how soon this place got to feel like home. Maybe it was because in Canada I didn't go anywhere that could have been home - Luke Duke's place on the very night he bought another house, a (half) night at Giulietta's, a night at the smashing place Sugar had found for her wedding, and one surreal-y awful sleepless night on the plane that I spent wondering how my cat was doing in the hold. Yes. Lexie is here with us now. We braved the douanes and her too-fresh rabies vaccination and her cuteness won us through.

In fact it was quite striking how people didn't crash into my luggage cart and how they smiled constantly and obligingly in my direction when there was a cat carrier perched on top of my heavy, heavy stuff. I imagine it's something like carrying around a cute baby. Nonetheless I am very, very happy the trip is over, and I'm sure my darling is too. She looks perfectly content but I won't be sure she is until it's evident she's figured out this complicated new European kitty litter.

The wedding was incredible, incidentally, the most emotionally and spiritually honest and true ceremony I'd ever attended, and the most evidently happy bride and groom. They did lots of things outside of the tradition that was established over the last hundred and fifty years or so - you know, in the time where the wedding industry took over so getting married became more than getting a bunch of townsfolk to stand on the church steps while the priest shouted "these people are allowed to fuck now" and everybody got liquored up. Despite this I'm sure it appealed to all the traditionalists in the crowd and it was certainly very touching for me. The events and location of the wedding were also incredible - forest vermin and my five horrid mosquito bites notwithstanding it was a great idea to have the events in a place that was like a playground for grownups, where we could run around barefoot and relax.

So, so good to see everyone too - so good - even better than I'd thought. Their spawn, too. Little Bitch's little baby is stunning, and Spencer Tracy is awesomer every time I see him. How scattered we all are. . . representing all over the world, besides Africa and South America. Something should be done about that. I do think it would be a good idea for semi-annual group vacations. See how we change, see how our attachments change, all over the world. Very pretty idea.

2 commenti:

Sugarplum ha detto...

Thanks, Mistress. I'm still amazed that everything turned out so perfectly and everyone was so happy and non-argumentative the entire weekend! I didn't think it was possible for the bride to enjoy her wedding - at least they never seem to on tv.

And we really have to try to take semi-annual vacations together.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Who's been to South America? Not me. Let's all go to Argentina for your honeymoon. It would be romantic.