martedì, giugno 05, 2007

Pop! goes my ears

Two plane rides. Four movies. Hours of pain.

1. Night at the Museum. Masculine fantasy about being a slacker loser and still being a good father because the waxworks come to life at the place where you're a security guard. Especially the cute 'waxworks' of the cute animals who were cutely shot and stuffed. Lousier than it sounds, thanks to efforts at emotional interaction between the horrid Ben Stiller and a bunch of off-set semi-famous types doing cameos as midgets. Whole lines that mean nothing. Rubbish. Pain. Ugh.

2. The Pursuit of Happyness. The story of becoming a stockbroker and rescuing yourself and your son from penury. The premenstrual part of my brain thought it was another masculine fantasy, but the brain brain part enjoyed its message of fortune favouring the brave. It was fine.

3. Wild Hogs. Pain. Pain pain pain. I understand this movie didn't tank and disappear immediately upon release, which is only explicable if the masculine fantasy put forth here - geeky, henpecked half-men can find themselves and earn the world's and their families' respect by driving across the country having unfunny pratfalls - is one that struck some sort of popular chord. Vomit excrement Harley Davidson commercial shit. This movie airs in hell.

4. Music and Lyrics. After all that masculine fantasy I was quite looking forward to some feminine fantasy, figuring a change must be as good as a rest. I was wrong. Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore acting in two different movies, spliced together, both of them really shitty and the result more shitty than the sum of its parts. The chemistry between them was so bad I was confused when they started making out. Opening and closing 80's music video sequences featuring Hugh Grant as a A-Ha-type got plugged by my boss, who liked the film, as a 'redeeming' feature. I just saw an insult to A-Ha.

4 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Your reviews have confirmed my stance that it's not necessary for me to see the first 3 films you write about (as big of a Ben Stiller fan as I am). However, I'm disappointed to hear the bad news about Music and Lyrics! The King and Queen of romantic comedy did not gel together? Boo! I love when Hugh Grant dances around..I'm sure even A-Ha got a giggle out of that?

So you're home. How does it feel? Send your mailing address when you get a chance. I remember you telling me the street and it was interesting. But I have no idea what it is.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Feels lovely, though work is hard. Hard but good. Weather is being gentle too.

I'll send it to you right now, before I forget.

cali ha detto...

I found Music and Lyrics to be especially bad because the songs they were writing weren't really that catchy. And I really like Drew Barrymore so it was a big disappointment.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Yes, any prayers for a suspension of disbelief were scattered by that catch-free music. Couldn't they have hired someone to make it suck less?

Do you like Drew Barrymore then? I liked her in that Adam Sandler movie when she forgot everything when she went to bed every night.