martedì, luglio 17, 2007

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

Last night, mined a rich vein of Simpsons we'd found streamed that I'd never seen before. Oh, the pleasure. And I found the answer to the question I'd asked myself so many times, every time I caught an episode of South Park - 'why do I only watch this accidentally?'

It turns out it's because I don't care. South Park could go off the air tomorrow and it would be pretty much okay; considering I get my TV free and on a computer after searching, waiting, and snatching, I might not even notice for a few months. But the Simpsons - oh, I care, and it's hurt not to have it, fucking intellectual property protection.

There's also the fact I'd take five minutes of the Simpsons over a whole season of South Park because it's way fucking funnier. It may be comparing apples and oranges - fewer writers for South Park, lower budget, rightwards Libertarian political sloping, blah blah blah - but then I've never had a problem saying oranges are way fucking better than apples.

4 commenti:

Baywatch ha detto...

That's pretty much my all time favorite Simpsons quote. It's equally fine counterpart is "just because I don't care doesn't mean I'm not listening." The movie debuts here next friday (7/27), and I'm quivering w/ anticipation.

Melbine ha detto...

Hey, you got your titles back! I agree, oranges are way better than apples. Although both make me puke copiously right now. Pretty instantly too. Sorry for the morning sickness talk.

It's amazing that The Simpsons is even allowed to exist in America - I'm so glad that the network executives don't seem to really GET it.

Sugarplum ha detto...

I think it's just so huge and the message is subverted enough that it is permitted. It's amazing that it has existed for so long and yet it is still funny.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Sane, Baywatch. In fact my expectations couldn't be higher, which makes me nervous.

Melbine, I'm not a big fan of American culture but they have the ability to criticize themselves in a really funny and interesting way in their pop culture, which most countries I've spent time in just don't, and it's a really beautiful and special thing.

There's a market for it there: that's why the network executives not only let it happen, but pour kabillions of dollars into it.