giovedì, luglio 19, 2007

Do the corporation with me

I am not insane, or at least not when it comes to monk parakeets. They have taken over.

Yesterday was the corporate party, which is the first such thing I've been to, this being the first honest to goodness corporate type entity I've ever worked for; the television and energy things were non-profits, ridiculous as that may be. It was fun. The locale was pretty and played Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Temptations and such. I guess I like corporate type music. The communist hippie in me, who bulges through the skin in a few places, is still trying to process that people involved in big business are still often fun, nice, witty and intelligent, and that I'm one of them, both for the moment and probably for years to come.

I think what has been stopping me from doing that is that most of my prior corporate-type exposure was to the direct money generators, the sales people. At the party is was so easy to tell who was on the sales team, though I'd met them at most once before - they were taking off their shirts and playing volleyball really seriously. They also told lots of stories about themselves. It was interesting. And I don't mean the stories.

3 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Oh my goodness, that's so funny about the sales people! A vivacious group, aren't they? Did a lot of people go to the party? Did you have to pay anything? Where I worked, you had to pay $5 for the measly burger and bag of chips that you got. It was usually pretty lame, not very well attended at all...

Ah, glad to see that you have found some valid proof of the existence of the monk parakeets!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Everybody from the office who was in town went, and we paid for nothing - not the mediocre food, not the yummy drinks. I guess that's the difference between a corporate party and a government party.

Dale ha detto...

It always surprises me when I find someone with an actual personality and interests at work as so many seem most concerned with the square footage of their houses.