domenica, luglio 22, 2007

L'enfer, c'est les autres

Saw Gilda last night after a busy weekend. It was pretty good, in a French music kind of way. The key to liking French music is to ignore the shitty singing and concentrate on the nice lyrics, and the key to enjoying classic noir is to ignore the plotholes and concentrate on how they talked about sex when the Production Code tried to forbid them to. Rita Hayworth was fucking hot. Holy, as they say, shit.

Looking forward to the trip to Carcassonne on Wednesday like a madwoman. Not just to the possibility of enjoying their interminable heatwave after summer flits away from Belgium in favour of more shitty, shitty rain and cold, not just to the wedding and the attendant drinking and fun times, not just to not working for four days in a row.

Franky what's doing it for me this morning is the prospect of my solo journey itself. Something like 20 hours altogether on trains, all by myself. I know that sounds like lots, and it is, but it's cheaper and more environmentally nice than the plane, which would probably end up taking something close to the same amount time, what with getting out to Charleroi, waiting around in a fucking aeroport, baggage, blah blah blah.

And the prospect of all those hours ALL TO MYSELF (though I will be spending six or so of them trying to sleep on a couchette) is so nice. I have exciting books to read. Only two though. I need at least two more. Maybe four more, because I'm hoping to escape the wedding a bit there and go read on the beach for the Friday. Oh boy oh boy. Good lord. How did personal time get this sort of premium on it, that I'm waiting with trembling anticipation to a train trip by myself? How the fuck am I going to cope when I have children?

2 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Gilda, that's a movie I'd like to see. We're set to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai..I'm looking forward to some Alec Guinness!

I think the older we get, whether it's kids or jobs or relationships taking away from personal time, the more we appreciate the time we have to ourselves. Of course, if you're from a big family like me, you've always enjoyed your personal time! :)

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Hopefully that pattern will help me out when I'm a lonely old lady!