martedì, luglio 31, 2007

Started up in the Sally Ann

So at the wedding, the young bride was much more of a Rolling Stones type girl than a Beatles one, although we did almost an album's worth of John Lennon singing 50's standards in 1975 (loved it). And it really reminded me how great the Rolling Stones were in the 60's. Every one of those standards are the best songs to dance to ever. That's what I noticed night-of. You can even smoke reefer in time to "Satisfaction". It really made me miss Shake-a-Tail in Toronto and I think I'll time my next visit to that city to make sure I make it there, although I guess a more pro-active thing to do would be to find a night like that here.

Anyhoo, what I noticed yesterday when I was shopping in the Belgian version of Sally Ann was that "Let's Spend the Night Together", which was playing over the PA system, is a really horny song. Duh, yes, I know. But even today it remains a very, very horny song relative to the current industry climate which makes desperate efforts to produce very, very horny songs. "Let's Spend the Night Together" simply makes me want to fuck. Dance, and then fuck.

And as I was thinking about how I suddenly wanted to fuck in the middle of the Belgian Sally Ann, I reflected about what it must have been like in 1967 when young girls were hearing that for the first time - in a musical climate which wasn't all hyper-sexual and the pop charts certainly weren't saturated with singers shouting that they'd give you as much cunnilingus as you could handle (because you know the words 'I'll satisfy your every need' coming out of a big ugly mouth like Mick Jagger's only mean one thing). I don't have much seventies-born-pseudo-nostalgia for the sixties. But I have moments of wishing I had a time machine just to see the impact of little things like that.

6 commenti:

Sugarplum ha detto...

They were great fun when they came to Ottawa - even though we couldn't afford to go to the concert - there were huge screens and people everywhere from Bank Street to the canal dancing and singing along. It was very impressive for such an old band.

Melbine ha detto...

Haha - that's awesome! This may be a dumb question, but that's "Sally Ann"?

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Not dumb at all, since from the title of my post it looks like some oblique reference to the vagina. It's the Salvation Army.

Sugar, they have lots of surprise shows in Toronto when they warm up for tours - you might get lucky if you're working for one of the city mags and you hear about them.

Sugarplum ha detto...

Yes, I'm starting to see the benefits of living in such a big city...

Dale ha detto...

Lips that could French kiss a moose, that Jagger fellow!

Email me when you're ready for your close up and I'll send you some questions.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Quest me!