giovedì, agosto 02, 2007

So much me in one little morning

Dale of the Passion came into this blog back in the winter by saying something nice about it, and then became a fixture in the links that I visit obsessively by making me laugh whenever he cares to and using punctuation in the economical yet expressive way I love. Yesterday he was kind enough to pay me attention on a Thursday with a series of searching questions, so now he's become a fixture in my heart.

Here's the result of the sit-down:

1. Your blog comes in a wide variety of flavours Mistress La Spliffe. Book and movie reviews, the general stuff of life, your dreams and so on. If all your favourite magazines started asking for writing contributions, where would we be reading you next?

The only magazine in my heart is the Economist. I love it to the bones even when it makes me angry with its heartless right-wingery. It has just the right amount of commas and adjectives, I don't feel targeted by its advertisements since they're for the rich, and its obituaries are astounding. On Thursday afternoons I'll check Economist.com again and again to see if they've posted the print version yet so I can skip straight to the obituary.

And that's something else I like about it: it's available in full online, and it has good web-only features. It hasn't run scared from the Internet like most of the print industry has.

2. You recently mentioned that you feel psychoanalysis (and health care) should be free and available to everyone as a basic human right. I agree but how much do you feel that having your blog helps negate the need for formalized therapy?

15%, because 85% of a blog, or at least this blog (despite the spelling mistakes and superfluous words), is much more edited than what a good analyst can drag out of people. And all that editing probably just backs up lots of one's neuroses, in the end.

Your blog is a little different, though, as it's the only one I've read that turns memories from your life and childhood into engaging stories that obviously go somewhere in your own head, so I'd imagine you're working something important out for yourself while you're making us laugh.

3. A while back, you gave me a recommendation on a book I really enjoyed: 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist'. What should I read next?

For you in particular I'd recommend When We Were Orphans, by Kazuo Ishiguro. I love everything I've read of his, and I'd recommend his whole body of work with few reservations (Never Let Me Go is too sad for some moods, for example, and The Unconsoled is probably only appropriate for people who like both David Lynch films and small print).

But I think you'd get a particular kick out of When We Were Orphans. As you know, Paul Auster has not floated my boat and I was particularly annoyed by City of Glass. But When We Were Orphans shares some themes with City of Glass and pulls off some of the stunts I think Auster was trying. There's a similar feeling, though When We Were Orphans reads like a lot more work and thought went into it.

For you, I'd also recommend a novella/short story called (I think) Maitre Muissard's Bequest by Patrick Süskind, the guy who wrote Perfume. I found MMB in a slim Penguin pocket book a couple of years ago but now I think you can only find it as part of the compilation Three Stories and a Reflection, if you can find it at all. Although it's different from the Reluctant Fundamentalist in every apparent way, it has a similar driving tension sort of spinning you down towards the ending - although MMB is way scarier. It's a real headfuck.

4. You're making your home far far away from Toronto now and I feel cheated only have stumbled across your blog just as you were leaving town. Was it something I said? Where have you enjoyed living most?

You made it too easy for me to leave by being available in blog form, which I can get here. If you were only available by mail order, for example, I might have stayed in Toronto to cut down on the postage bills.

I've found something to love about all the places I've lived in, so the one I'm in at the time is usually my favourite (and my least favourite, since I find lots of stuff to hate, too). The most paradisaical place, though, was a city called Pinerolo nestled in the foothills of the Alps in northern Italy. It was beautiful enough, but also ugly enough to be untouched by tourists. Wonderful food, nice people, low rent but well enough connected to major cities - just lovely.

Unfortunately I was young and foolish during my time there, and spent a mere half-year shitting where I lived with the dedication of an undiapered copraphiliac before I had to sneak out of town with all my possessions at first light on a February morning.

5. Do you have an expression that you find yourself overusing? I especially want to hear it if it's a swear word.

People say I use the word 'cunt' too much. That probably won't stop, because I enjoy the way it makes people flinch, like a tampon commercial. Also, last night the F-word and I were chatting about England, and he called the Duke and Duchess of Kent the Duke and Duchess of Cunt, and I called the Archbishop of Canterbury the Archbishop of Cunterbury, and oh, how we laughed.

I also say 'take it easy, portugeezy' too much.

Being interviewed is so much fun that now I'm determined to spread the joy. Anyone else who wants a series of questions has only to ask.

10 commenti:

Dale ha detto...

As long as that's not my head you're holding in the picture, I'm happy to be here Mistress!

I enjoyed your answers and will have a look at your recommendations.

Of course, I am now worried that my neuroses are being compounded by excessive blog editing but I'll just have to work through that in a future post.

More on your copraphiliac days please!

If you want to interview me, please go ahead and after running everything by my legal team, I'll get on it.

Amie ha detto...

I have also always liked the word cunt. It is so satisfying to say - crisp and sharp like biting into a fresh celery stick. I also like the word cantankerous but it doesn't have the same results unless you call someone a cantakerous cunt.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

I've never called someone a cantankerous cunt. That's fantastic. Once I called someone a crotchety cunt, but that was the end of the argument for me because I was afraid it was a pleonasm, so I got paranoid.

I wouldn't worry about it, Dale; in your case I think the editing is the therapy because you're apparently very good at it. But work through it in a post anyways. It'll be great.

My copraphiliac days were a sort of second puberty, but with a disposable income and a hard heart, AND in Italy. So it was much more awesome, and much less excusable. I think some people need a time like that in their lives to understand, and not just know, why being a big raving crackwhore is bad.

Anyways, then I snuck off to Paris and put in two and a half years penance, but that's another story and another sexually deviant metaphor.

The questions should be with you already and I await the answers at your attorney's leisure.

X. Dell ha detto...

(1) I too like a periodical with good obits.

(2) At least you and your companion aren't people who 'cunt' take a joke.

BeckEye ha detto...

Lovely interview, you two.

Based on question #2, I can't wait for your sit-down with Tom Cruise and his ultimate beheading.

Cup ha detto...

I love saying "cunt," too. It's such a head-snapper. Welcome to the C-club!

Excellent job with Dale's questions.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

X. dell, some even accuse of courting cuntroversy, but I cunt see what they're cuntying on about. Cunts.

Beckeye, fascinating as Tom Cruise's rejection of the help he apparently needs is, I have a feeling any sitdown between us would end quickly in me dissolving into screams of 'OH MY GOD, MR. CRUISE, YOUR FUCKING CHIN FELL OFF! YOUR FUCKING CHIN FELL . . . oh wait, you were born that way. Sorry.'

Dale made it very easy by asking questions that were fun to answer, Beth.

Coaster Punchman ha detto...

I also enjoyed the book recommendations.

CP

jin ha detto...

Oh! I love your answer to #5!

Great interview Mistress & Dale!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Thank you, Jin and Mr. Punchman. Those books are a couple of my favorites and I'm much better disposed towards the Anglican Church now.