mercoledì, ottobre 03, 2007

What a wicked thing to say

The F-word is coming back sometime today and it won’t be a moment too soon. I miss him something awful. Gross, isn’t it? But I’m feeling a little fragile as winter has set in here. Last night I came home around 8 – the night before that, 2 in the morning – and there was absolutely no difference in the quality of the inky, damp, chilly darkness. I live in goddamn Scandinavia, except it was too goddamn cloudy all goddamn summer to get any of that Land of the Midnight Sun shit.

So I’m going through my last month of probation at work and obviously I’m on tenterhooks, because after five months I’ve really got used to being given money. Had a bit of hair of the dog last night with an IT-er from work who explained to me that the high turnover in my department was down to people quitting and/or losing their fucking minds, and that getting the sack should be the least of my worries. Do I feel better? Sure.

Speaking of. This week, whilst the F-word has been painfully absent from my life, I've been distracting myself by taking an interest in my surroundings at work and whoa, nelly. These people talk. You know, about each other. At one point, a girl who'd been telling me lots of juicy shit, like about the annoyingly naïve young thing that sits across from me nailing the assembly-line hotty in sales and my predecessor stalking my boss, paused in her conversation when the name of another girl at the office came up. She looked at me straight in the eye and said, "I'm telling you. Look out. Look out. Watch what you say to her because it will spread around."

Alright. I'm not complaining. I love hearing gossip, particularly gossip that adds some dimension to the annoying girl who sits across from me or to the reason my boss is a bit abrupt until you get to know her. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? Adding interest to our relationships. Making people seem complicated and engaging somehow. Livening up our workdays. But I better let go of the illusion my words have any kind of privacy in there, and accept that they'll probably have legs that will take them to meanings I never even dreamed of.

You know what it amounts to, don't you? My next piece of investigative journalism; you give a a music video 12 years and it turns funny. I mean, it's a pretty song and reminds me of Wild at Heart and all, but when he stares at the camera singing I can't suspend my sexy disbelief anymore:

2 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Oh man, you're right. It just turns funny once he's looking right into the camera. Still love the song though...and Helena Christensen looks amazing there. And even 12 years ago I don't think she was young!?

Office gossip - it's what keeps us all going heh heh. I definitely watch what I say and to whom.

Have an enjoyable reunion with F-Word. ;)

Sugarplum ha detto...

Well, I haven't been here long enough to feel comfortable listening to music on my computer so I haven't watched the video but I'm sure it is funny.

I have no idea what kind of stories are being passed around here - I am across from the kitchen though so I get to hear all kinds of inane conversations. I am bored enough to be able to handle some good gossip but I don't tend to like those who dish it much. Makes me uncomfortable to consider what rubbish they must be spewing about me!