mercoledì, novembre 28, 2007

Save the trees

Yesterday was a conference. The conference part of it was actually interesting because it was about a sort of public certification system for environmental sustainability, so that consumers and converters can be made fully aware of how nice to the planet each producer is. My industry isn't really known for its environmental sustainability, so there was lots of moaning and groaning from the floor, lots of 'why us and not the people who make tin cans?'

And you know what else there was? Resignation. Business is figuring out that, if nothing else, being environmentally responsible and transparent is a way to make their products value-added, and it's also starting to realise there's simply no choice. Laws and consumers are intersecting, forcing things to be better. Keep fighting the dirty vicious fight, people, and remember: business is there to serve you; and not vice-versa. Make that bitch your slave.

This morning, at least, I'm very optimistic about the future of our race. Still a bit depressed in my own right, but dealing with it as best I can. Here's a picture so that I can avoid typing about it. I don't know where the F-word took it. Could be anywhere in Belgium as this country is absolutely full of trees on crutches. If I ever have a contract with a publishing house that demands I produce another book for them before I get released so that I can get a much, much better contract with another publishing house, I think I'll release a coffee table book of Belgian trees on crutches.



8 commenti:

Hilts ha detto...

started as a comment in this, but blew up big.

http://securityout.blogspot.com/2007/11/waterloo.html

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

As it does . . .

Baywatch ha detto...

i know this is a great conflation, but...interesting that way, how resignation leads to hope

Baywatch ha detto...

P.S. your lovely pic is worthy inspiration for Modigliani!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Yes, it does lead to hope - strange. Like it's the first step in building expectations.

Melbine ha detto...

I was thirsty for a pic of you - it's been a while! You look so healthy and have found the time to snag some fabulous necklaces!

It makes me happy to hear that the business world is starting to resign themselves to being environmentally responsible. Took them long enough!

Melbine ha detto...

ps - healthy is really code word for great boobs Mistress!!

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Thank you, honey. The necklace is from Portugal, it's coral and I think that's wrong somehow, but it gives me credibility when I make Marge Simpson groans.

They do look greatly boobyish in that photo, don't they? It looks like I could feed an army but I'm not that kind of a girl.