domenica, giugno 20, 2010

Slick

Still not sure how, though I believe it had something to do with completely ignoring the World Cup*, but this weekend magically managed to pull some extra hours out of my ass and make some things - moisturizing lotion and kim chi.

The lotion was the easy part. I seem to be trying to extend my food ethics - the 'don't eat anything you wouldn't kill yourself' - into my cosmetics ethics - 'don't put anything on your skin you couldn't eat if you were starving'. And it's dead easy to make a really lovely light cream with all the special treats you want once you have an emulsifying wax you're happy with. It's also somewhat necessary in our household, as the F-word, despite looking butch as all hell, has slightly fussy skin.

What is problematic - the only problem - is the preservatives issue. I'd rather just do without, make small batches, refrigerate, and use fast, both because of the abstract extension of my food ethics into my cosmetics ethics and because of the F-word's fussy skin. Which is for the best. Do a quick Google of all the 'make-your-own' etc. sites and it gets heated when it comes to preservatives, I think because people try to sell their own products and feel shoe-horned into using them. And I have to admit, the possibility of selling has presented itself to me too, because what I make is so damn lovely and wholesome. But I don't suppose I could do it without adding preservatives, and suddenly it's not so edible anymore . . .

Anyways, so that was fun, I always like making cosmetics, it's an excuse for me to mess around with beakers if nothing else, and since I haven't done that since OAC science about 14 years ago that's a thrill. Also the fussy little kitchen scale, which makes me feel like a low-level drug dealer.

The kim chi was the more difficult part, since it was a first effort and since it's still a work in progress, as it needs to finish fermenting. Also I think I burnt my right hand blending in the chili pepper but if it works it will be utterly, utterly worth it. When I was in Shanghai I had a few lovely cabbage dishes which were either pickled or fermented, and coming back here, to this barren land of overcooked European dishes, I realized I can't just hold out until I get to Australia - I need some fucking kim chi now. Patience, tummy, patience, soon you'll be filled with delicious spicy beneficial bacteria. Mwa ha ha.



*On Sunday morning after our guests scarpered, while the sound of Aussie Rules football filled the apartment while we vegged, I was absurdly proud to be one of the maybe 3 households in Benelux watching a different sport . . .

4 commenti:

Sam ha detto...

I'm glad to hear you are making kimchi. It's my favourite of the lactofermented things I've made. Unfortunately, I put in too much ginger and not enough hot peppers in my current batch.

In case you are interested in fermenting more things, I highly recommend a book by Sandor Katz called "Wild Fermentation".

btw, I wanted to thank you again for the buttermilk on bread suggestion... *brilliant*.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

OH MY GOD SAM YOU GUYS ARE MAKING A BABY!!!!!!!! I just heard. One million congratulations, you'll be awesome parents!

I'll have a look for the fermentation book, I'm jaunting up to Yorkshire next week and can do serious book shopping. Thanks!

noodles ha detto...

Really? Kim chi?

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Yeah, but it didn't go well. Tastes like non-lethal warfare and the consistency is really just salty cabbage, not that nice slimy crunch, I think I didn't let it ferment properly or something. Have ordered Sam's book to clean up my act with . . .