mercoledì, giugno 16, 2010

USA Wins 1-1

After I spend a lot of time hanging out with Americans while in Europe, as this weekend, I feel simultaneously refreshed and slightly nauseous, like I've eaten too much watermelon. It just never ceases to amaze me how they can cut to the heart of some things and have a breadth of vision that baffle the locals here - mostly on the personal level - and are so infantile when it comes to other things, like the way anywhere else in the world works. I especially love to get them going about China. Not saying I understand China or anything but all of their imaginings based on sheer bloody panic over the possibility of getting replaced is really hilarious, and oddly cinematic, as if it hasn't even entered their head that the billion plus population there is made up of real people with aspirations to not get malnutrition and not the soulless Yellow Hordes.

Anyways, all that to say that contrary to so many non-Dutch Europeans (the Dutch seem to love Americans, who owe them a hell of a cultural debt), I really do enjoy their company and I don't find them annoying in the least. And part of that is because I really enjoy the way they make fun of other people. It's the really great thing about arrogance, you know, it's funny, a lot of the time on purpose.

This, for example:

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
America's Strained Relationship With England
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorFox News

Nessun commento: