mercoledì, novembre 30, 2005

Help


My brother hardly ever asks for anything specific, but this Christmas he said he'd like a print of what he thinks is something by Picasso, but maybe it's Matisse. He says it's a painting of a woman, from the back, her being a little cello-shaped. But it is not the one you see here - he says it's just two fluid black lines on a white background. Does anyone know the name of it, or if it's by Picasso, or does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

***********UPDATE*************

Turns out to be this, which Picasso simply called 'Femme'. Guess he wasn't a breast man. My brother plans on calling it 'Bum', which seems a little more accurate. Much love to Mr. N for referring me to www.art.com.








My thesis advisor finally got in touch. Turns out - and I'm sure this is absolutely independent of me, say, contacting the school to ask why the fuck I hadn't heard from him for seven weeks - he thinks I copied it. This isn't the first time a French professor has accused me of plagiarism. But you know what? It had fucking better be the fucking last, because I am way too pretty for jail, and I am thiiiiiiiis close to murderizing all of fucking France. I don't know what pisses me off more: the accusation, the self-servingness of the accusation, or the fact that now I'll have to go to mad documentary trouble to prove that I didn't copy when I've already gone to enough trouble actually WRITING the fucker. Oh sweet fuck on a stick. Someone is going to pay.

4 commenti:

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Golly gosh, no, wowzers, no.

Anonimo ha detto...

Doesn't he have to have an idea where he thinks you copied it from?

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Yes - if he wanted to formally accuse me of plagiarism. While accusing me, he voiced his utter unfamiliarity with the subject and the sources I've used - that's the root of the hunch, that and the amount of 'detail' I used. Maybe I should have just written long lines of meaningless bullshit - remind me the next time I go to school in France. Which will be in a new, stupider lifetime. But since he just has a hunch, and since he's the one who decides when I'll be allowed to defend, he can ask me to provide him with proof that I didn't. That whole 'innocent until proven guilty' thing isn't really part of French legal or ethical practice.

Did I mention before someone was going to pay?

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Johannes: he *did* drop that bomb the day after I wrote to the school director complaining he'd been holding onto the final two thirds of my thesis for seven weeks when I needed to defend in January. And he *did* seem to be basing his suspicions on the amount of detail I was using, which seems odd. Oh, I don't know. All I know is, I'm going to inundate him with so much paperwork he'll rue the day his mother inundated the world with him.