giovedì, giugno 21, 2007

Eating parties

Yesterday Work had a lunchtime pizza party to 'celebrate' the firing of a management guy who'd been there for years and years. It was a light-hearted occasion, made so mostly by the fired man , a popular figure, who in his speech ripped gently into the company and mentioned a bunch of people who'd been fired in various re-shufflings already. It's a good thing I don't visualize a future for myself there because I don't have one - that was sobering. The pizza was good though.

There was also a drinking party for the fired man after work, which I didn't show up to because I had to hurry home to cook for a little dinner party here. It wasn't quite our first, but it was our first involving local people, so that was exciting and nice. People here are so personable, but not supine - it's easy to disagree with them in a friendly sort of way. I like it a lot.

Had a dream that I was yelling at a group of fighting girls who'd got a lawyer in to sort out their troubles. I was insisting that the economic model of the anglo-saxon legal systems meant that no lawyer was ever going to want to sort out a problem and any resolution they arrived at with his 'help' would be a pure accident. Woke up and thought about that, hoped it wasn't true, thought it probably was.

3 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Wow, the company sounds pretty cutthroat. So different from here..throwing a pizza party when someone gets fired. Here, the person is lucky they have time to clear out their desk before they're booted out the door! Oh, but they can't do that there, can they? Don't you have to give someone a one year termination notice??

I wonder what your dream was about? Like, really about?

Sugarplum ha detto...

Office politics keeps work interesting. But it might be nice to work somewhere where you have to dig a bit to get into it. Sounds like it's bubbling on the surface there.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Well, they wouldn't have to give me a years notice, because I've been there less than six months. So, yaaaaaay!

It's not politics here so much, Sugar, we're all just sand in an hourglass someone is fucking with in Boston. It means I quite like everyone there though.