mercoledì, giugno 20, 2007

The Triumph of the Passion

Last night I watched The Triumph of the Will and The Passion of the Jew back to back. The F-word was quite excited about The Triumph of the Will, pointing out its influences on modern propoganda and how undated that made it - how its tricks had been exploited - and also how people in the German backwaters must have felt when they saw it in the cinema, how they'd just be so impressed by the movement and decide to join it.

I wondered how many of the people in it were dead ten years later and wondered how many of the people in the crowd scenes had just showed up to all those parades because television hadn't been invented yet and there was nothing else on that day. Mostly I wanted it to end. Maybe I have no attention span, but not even Leni's loving, lingering shots of hot genetically pure men could keep me interested in all the hours and hours of Nazis and towns and banners and blah blah blah. I don't know what all the fuss is about, unless it's to get old twats back into The Guardian.

Obviously, The Passion of the Jew was much, much, much better. I think the F-word enjoyed it more because the poor bastard has actually had to sit through The Passion when someone he was visiting rented it, but for myself I don't know when I've laughed so hard.

6 commenti:

Melbine ha detto...

Tell me more about The Passion of the Jew. I haven't heard of it. Were you able to just rent these 2 films? I've always been curious about The Triumph of the Will..in a morbid way.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Everything is computerized for us these days, Mel.

'The Passion of the Jew' is an episode of South Park whose story revolves around the boys watching 'The Passion.' Kyle starts feeling guilty, Cartman decides it makes the time ripe for the Final Solution, and Stan and Kenny don't like it and go to Malibu to get a refund on their tickets from Mel Gibson. With hilarious results.

Melbine ha detto...

Oh, I should have known! That sounds great!

Dale ha detto...

I have seen The Passion of the Jew and I am a believer. Leni can suck it.

Baywatch ha detto...

Dearest Mistress La Spliffe,

I've long-loved your spew. This entry recollected ancient travels for me. If you ever get the chance to swing by Nuremburg, you should check out the film's sites as they are now...

Bong Hits For Jesus,

Rocky

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Dale, I heard the late pope saw 'The Passion' and afterwards, deeply moved, said 'it is how it was,' and now I can be a believer that that might just be something polite an aged, tired, disappointed pontiff-type might say to politely get rid of a snufff-film geeking nutcase from Malibu who'd shit in Eric Cartman's face. But maybe I'm just being sanguine because the late pope was so much cuter that Ratzinger.

Thank you, Rocky. Your spew is now linked so I can love on it too; I am so far. Nuremberg is on the cards for us.