mercoledì, febbraio 06, 2008

The Red Dragon is an arkeeyolojist

I don't think I mentioned that we went to Stonehenge this Christmas, did I? It was really fucking cool. It was also really fucking crowded despite being really fucking rainy and really fucking chilly, which I found impressive as it was also in the middle of fucking nowhere. Now I'm not a professional archaeologist, or even fully literate much of the time, but I think I discovered the site's purpose, which was to energize the regional economy by making tourists from untold miles 'round pay lots of money to travel there and then walk around it in a circle going 'ooooo' and 'ahhhhh' or, if you're Mistress La Spliffe, her sweetheart the F-word, or any North American who hasn't been raised with fudgey sugary Jeebus, 'holy fuck!'

Of course I didn't venture into the gift shop so it's possible that I didn't excavate sufficiently to really develop my theory, and I'm willing to consider the possibility the site also had the purpose of sell lots of money's worth of tea towels and novelty thimbles - either as a secondary or primary purpose - I'm not sure. I am sure the administrators also made a pretty penny from the rich types who decided to get buried there, which I'm guessing was Stone Age Britain's equivalent of a Niagara Falls honeymoon. But our minivan was leaving so I didn't have time to do my groundwork. My point is that I'm pretty sure it was designed as a tourist attraction, because it's a great one and it's been a great one for a long time. Ancient. Mystery. Solved.

All of which is a flip and shatteringly oblique way to say that I still think I'll go back to school and study something completely different from what I've ever studied before, and I'm still thinking about going to Jung school or shiatsu school and studying it there, which means I should start seeing an analyst again or looking for a shiatsu school, but the bourgeoisity of it all still gets to me, because I'm already bourgeois now and I don't like it. But then, is there anything more bourgeois than going back to school as a grownup who could be making lots of money instead? And I have no problem with that. I have a suspicion that I don't like being bourgeois because I'm bourgeois to nine to five, or thereabouts, and actually I wouldn't give a sleepy toss for class divisions if I was allowed to sleep late. That notwithstanding, I'm still so fucking confused about which direction my life is going, and although I trust myself more than I ever have I trust institutions less than I ever have.

Sometimes I think I'll go crazy from choice. All I know is, I have to go to work today - now, actually - and that doesn't help at all.

3 commenti:

Hilts ha detto...

From Tess 's location to Egypt: the Pyramids way back when - meaning in Moses time, or whoever - lets keep it to John the Bptists time (what, you expect'd I'd say Jesus??) instead - the regular Hepshuts....err, the regular Joes - actually went to the Pyramids for sight seeing.

The there is Napoloen. Before the Battle of the Pyramids, he addressed his troops with the line "Forty Centuries of History are looking down on you right now". I always liked that line. And, don't be mad, but some day this will be repeated in Securityout as well.

Dale ha detto...

Your sleuthing is on the money.

I wonder if buying the tea towel or thimble and performed some naked ritual in proximity would help determine your future.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

How could I be mad at you, Hilts?

I don't know, Dale, but next time I'll try, and I can predict my future already: lots of shocked Asian tourists and a few British ones saying 'heh heh. Heh heh. She's so drunk.'