martedì, aprile 29, 2008

God damn America! God save the Queen!

As a born and bred Canada who has given up her residency and lives as an Official Expatriate in a ridiculous country she strives to ignore, it's not often I get sent a massive 'fuck you' from a government I can call my own. It is inevitable, however. For besides being Canadian I am also, thanks to the fine bloodlines of my mummy, Anglo-Saxon nationalism, and the bounty of Cold Queen Bess, officially one of the Inselaffen, who are told to fuck themselves by their government with a tedious regularity.

While I have a certain love for that green and pleasant land, I have an overwhelming disgust for its political system. Perhaps it's the most bullshitty one in the world - it's right up there, anyways. I still sort believe some people involved in the American one believe their own bullshit on some level. Though less and less so, particularly this morning. I don't understand how that country can be at a point where it has a serious black presidential candidate, but where the political system apparently requires him to be so deeply vanilla that he has to disown Jeremiah Wright because of some fairly mainstream pulpit-thumping.

And how can that pulpit-thumping be so deeply villified without being addressed? Forget about whether he was right or wrong about lots of the naughty things he said - the thing is, lots of people believe the naughty things he said. Saying them got more people into his church, I don't doubt. How can such ideas just be dismissed by a democratic political system in the height of the race for top office? How did those people get to be such pussies that the ones who disagree won't even calmly explain why they disagree instead of freaking the fuck out over the idea that some brown and black people at home and abroad are seriously fucked off by what the United States did and continues to do with them?

Though it was the height of temerity to tell God to damn America. That's the problem with these weirdo religious types - always telling their omnipotent lord what to do. I don't get that at all, you know. If he's omnipotent and perfect why the fuck are your prayers coming out as imperatives? Sit back and enjoy the ride, I say, and God will no doubt damn who He damn well pleases without being ordered around by one of His lesser creations.

Anyhoo, all I meant to do this morning was complain about the bullshitty tone of this response to a petition I signed a few months ago regarding the shutdown of the UK passport office in Brussels, but now I'm just happy I'm not American. A sentiment which the UK and Canadian political institutions have depended on for decades in terms of getting us to put up with their own brands of bullshit. "My eyeballs don't count under national health coverage anymore? Oh well, at least I'm not American." Et cetera.

Oh well, fuck you too, Cold Queen Bess.

Nessun commento: