giovedì, maggio 01, 2008

Do you stop being you just to be how he wants you, oh yes I do, the stew is blue as the doves coo in the kangaroo zoo next to the emu, and how do you

There's no time to write adequately about last night's religious experience of a concert as we will dash off to Bonn the moment my darling covers his shame adequately for us to venture to the train station. Instead I'll leave you with Nick Cave's 2001 cover of Pulp's 'Disco 2000'.



What I find most interesting about the cover is how it makes it mercilessly clear that Different Class had very silly lyrics, no matter how charmingly Jarvis Cocker yelped them out over catchy rhythm and melodies. I still like it though. Different Class is Dr. Seuss for teenagers, and I was a teenager when it came out, which makes 'Disco 2000' my 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand', or my 'Bang a Gong', or my 'Come On Eileen', or my 'Can't Get You out of My Head', depending on how many decades older or younger than me you are.

But I don't like it as much as His'n'Hers. I heard that when I was 12 and hence it was very Dr. Seuss-y, in the sense of teaching me lessons as basic as that one must try green eggs and ham before deciding that one does not like them. It gave me my first clue that sex was messier than in the Harlequins under the chesterfield, and that one should never decide to fuck a boy based on how much one thought he wanted one, because there was a whole world of boring, depressing adult perversion to get trapped in out there. It made me a more sensible teenager, in terms of my twat at least. And to this day 'Pink Glove' sometimes vies with 'Papa Was a Rolling Stone' in the running to be my favourite song ever. Not often though.

Also, His'n'Hers has the song 'Babies', which has the pithiest couplet in the English language - the Tristan-und-Isolde tragedy as explored through each story-telling medium through the ages, culminating in a rehashing in every television series that ever got past the pilot episode, summed up in 20 Dr. Seussy syllables:

I know you won't believe it's true
I only went with her because she looked like you


2 commenti:

Hilts ha detto...

love the part about listening outside her door, the "Alrite!!" part.

Dread Pirate Jessica ha detto...

Pithy. Revolting, smutty pith.