sabato, novembre 05, 2005

Get out!

This weekend is supposed to be about my thesis. It is! Just having a hard time at the moment. So I wrote the little polemic about ‘nice guys’ and then I had to go for a walk before I started work. But it wasn't wasted time. One has to get every drop of goodness out of the autumn before the bloody winter comes. And I got several drops of goodness this morning. Here were some:

1. The leaves. Maybe this is the last weekend, but oh, how they still are there. It twists a knife in my heart – such an extreme but transient beauty, la Dame aux Camellias in season form, La Traviata belting out ‘Parigi o caro’ on her deathbed – eeeeeee. I love autumn colours like I love opera.

2. The lake. Steely grey today, with a good breeze – and a flock of diving birds. Imagine being a diving bird. You get to fly, swim, float, AND walk around. That’s the fucking awesomest thing ever. Not to mention eating all the yummy raw fish you can catch.

3. The Go! Team. That music makes me want to pay Gwen Stefani and just about every other danceable pop act to retire. Poor bastards. It’s been done, and so much better, by the Go! Team. Go! home, Gwen Stefani. Make love to Gavin for the rest of your life, you lucky jerk . . .

4. Peameal bacon sandwich from St. Lawrence Market. Just slab upon slab of peameal bacon, stuck into a slightly crusty Kaiser roll. Oh, holy figurative jizz. With a little Maille and an appetite, that’s some fucking sweet ass shit.

5. Farmer’s market. I bought these darling little organic cauliflowers the size of oranges there – I want to bite into them like fruit. But I think it’s cold enough to give me an excuse to make a really delicious soup for dinner.

6. Le jardin botanique. That place makes living on the East Side worthwhile (as does the St. Lawrence, Jet Fuel, the House, Ben Wicks – hell, the East Side’s fine). I saw an Old Man of the Andes (pictured), a bunch of orchids – orchids always make me feel good – and this plant whose leaves all looked like gorgeous pussies. It was a big beautiful-snatch plant. I couldn’t believe my eyes.

So the walk was not a waste of time, not at all, and I had to share it with you, so you won’t think you’re wasting your time if you head outside and love the autumn as hard as you can. But if this post gets any longer, it risks becoming a waste of time, so . . .

Bon courage, mon amour. Forze, amore mio.

3 commenti:

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Wha? You's talking moon man talk. I's in Toronto.

East = east of Yonge

Northern Ontario = north of Eglington

Blvd = errrrrmmmmm . . .

Me = stoned

Lady ha detto...

yes, the only disgusting place in Toronto that you can get smoked meat poutine is at Mel's Diner. Mlle LaSpliffe only *thinks* it's good poutine because she burps it up for hours and can still taste the gravy days later.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Oh stop that dirty talk! If only I hadn't eaten already! I'd be in a cab to Mel's right now.

I'm going to Montréal soon and there shall discover all that is now a mystery to me, I'm sure.