domenica, gennaio 15, 2006

Run towards the light

I feel like cat ass this morning. Two beers with a delicious early supper at the House would not normally have that effect on me. If that idiot at work gave me her puke-germs, there'll be a reckoning. Oh hell, what am I talking about? I'll take the day off tomorrow and send an email to our manager about how people who vomit for half an hour at their desks should be sent home, even if they think they're fine to carry on - I don't think that amounts to a reckoning.

So . . . finished the introduction yesterday, conclusion today . . . I insist. Three pages. Three fucking pages. And then the polish of the glossary and appendices (appendages?) which should amount to a simple downhill roll at this point. But my brain hurts. The intro and conclusion are the only parts the jury is guaranteed to read, you see. Nerve-wracking. So I gave my aching brain a break as frequently as I thought I could afford with other people, and finally late last night with Goodbye Lenin! That's a nice movie that said more about corporatism being nasty than the Corporation and Super Size Me put together, just by drawing a simple and subtle parallel between a repressive communist state controlled from the outside and a newly freed market being flooded with capitalist goods and values. The final newscast for his mother jerked a few socially conscious tears from me - you'll know what I mean when you see it. But of course the makers of the Corporation would have never had the balls for either the association or the subtlety, and since Super Size Me was just a retarded gimmick there was no context to bring it up in. Also Goodbye Lenin! had a lovely soundtrack by Yann Tiersen - you know, the guy who wrote all those cute tunes for Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain.

UPDATE:

I FUCKING HATE EVERYTHING.

FUCKING THESIS.

FUCKING . . . 1.5 PAGES TO GO . . . 1.5 . . . THAT'S ONE HUNDREDTH OF THE TOTAL LENGTH OF THE FUCKER . . . I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS ONLY ONE HUNDREDTH OF THE WAY STARTED AND NOW IT'S ONE HUNDREDTH FROM THE END AND IT'S JUST AS PAINFUL AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK . . .

But that's impossible, isn't it? I mean, the revisions are pretty much finished and really, it's immeasurably better than it was at the beginning. We're talking a couple of hours instead of uncountable months. Alright, I feel better now. I'm going to go finish.

UPDATE BIS:

FINISHED.

JOINT NOW.

YAY.

4 commenti:

The Outer Church ha detto...

I totally agree with you that Super Size Me was both retarded and gimmicky. It completely undermined the point it was making by concentrating on what was essentially just a dumb stunt.

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

Maybe I should have just watched 'Jackass: the Movie' instead - that would have been good for a few laughs and it's practically a documentary, right?

The Outer Church ha detto...

The crucial difference being that Knoxville and co are enjoying themselves! It's tough watching a nice, polite middle class person putting themselves through hell unnecessarily when some people don't have a choice...

Mistress La Spliffe ha detto...

You're not joking - I read this a couple of years ago - http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_JJRQVG. There is a big problem with crap food with all sorts of physical and social pitfalls to it, and Spurlock and his stupid moustache puking out a car window didn't do much to address that.

Still, I know alot of people found Super Size Me really touching and I'm confused as to why.